Hospital Stay {Day 10 - Day 15}

Oh where do I begin. It seems like so much happens on a daily basis and I need to start blogging on a daily basis so I can have a good record of it all. I want Landry and Finley to be able to go back one day and read this and know what all happened while they were baking. So this may be a really long post but I thought I would go back to document the last couple of days. And then hopefully I can document each day going forward.

{Day 10 - May 1, 2010}
Saturday was pretty uneventful. Our nurse actually let us sleep until 8:30, which is the hospital is late! We got up and had breakfast. Later that morning my dad came over for his normal daily visit. He stayed for several hours and we all walked down to the cafe and had lunch. A little while later he headed home to watch the dogs. That afternoon again was pretty uneventful. My husband has been staying at the hospital with me around the clock during the weekend and is only leaving to go to work during the week. We have been walking down to a little garden area that is at the hospital at least once a day, so we headed down there later that afternoon. Saturday night I started feeling a little crappy. I had a headache and upset stomach but I didn't want to take anything for my headache for fear it would upset my stomach even more. So my night nurse and I agreed I would try and ambien to see if it would put me asleep enough to knock it off. It did, so I got a pretty restful night sleep Saturday night.

{Day 11 - May 2, 2010}
After going to bed feeling bad Saturday, I was unhappy to wake up Sunday feeling just as bad. When my nurse came in I told her and she quickly informed the doctor who was in not long after that. My nurse had asked me when the last time I felt the babies was, and I was scared of my own answer. I couldn't remember feeling them since the night before and definitely wasn't feeling them then. The doctor had some concerns with me feeling bad, he thought there might be a possibility that my preeclampsia was getting out of hand. They drew some blood and the dr wanted me hooked up to the monitor. My nurse told me there was a chance that we might deliver and said if I wanted a shower before I delivered I better get it because if something was bad they would take me straight back. So I hopped in the shower and then they hooked me up to a monitor for an hour. To our relief the babies were completely reactive and looked great on the monitor and all my blood work came back fine. So after a long day of waiting we were told, no babies today. The doctor was convinced that the ambien wasn't doing me or them any good, so he was quick to say stop it. I dread Sundays now because it means I spend the majority of my days by myself. My dad has been amazing and normally visits for a couple hours everyday so he has been some help. A good friend that works in the NICU here at the hospital has visited some and I've formed a friendship of sorts with the girl that did our NICU tour a few weeks ago, so she's been by several times. It really helps to pass the time. I went to bed Sunday knowing I would have a tough night sleeping.

{Day 12 - May 3, 2010}
After a restless night sleep Sunday night I was exhausted Monday. My hubby headed off to work :-( so after breakfast I decided a nap was in order. They are doing my NST (non-stress test) on Monday's and Thursday's so not long after I got settled the nurse came in to hook me up to the monitor. My doctor didn't come in until up in the day but I always am hopefully that they are ready for babies when they walk in the room. He didn't have much to say other than to keep on keeping on. We had a really interesting conversation. Here's kind of how it went:

Me: So, Dr. A, do you think I'm going have babies by mother's day?
Dr. A: Oh yeah
Me: (In complete shock) You know mother's day is Sunday, right?
Dr. A: Yep

I was in shock everything else left me. He did tell me that we would be doing BPP (bio-physical profiles) twice a week along with the NST's. My nurse told me that he had ordered it for that day so they should be coming to get me anytime soon. My hubby called and I told him if he hurried he might make it. He hurried up and finished his last patient and came on over. Well after we sat here all afternoon, you might know that they pushed it off until Tuesday. Bummer!

{Day 13 - May 4, 2010}
Tuesday was by far one of the busiest days I've had in the hospital thus far. They brought me breakfast and I scarfed it down because I know they are bad to come get me for u/s at 7:30 or 8:00 in the morning. Well, they spared me for a little while and left me until about 8:30. We went down for our BPP. Both babies scored 8 out of 8. I can't believe how content they are inside of me. The u/s tech did tell me that Baby A (Finley) is really low and has her head tilted backwards. He said she was super active but thought that possibly it was because she was in a stressful position. Both babies practiced breathing almost constantly while they were being watched. Afterwards, I came back and a old friend from college stopped by. Actually, Elly is my little sister from Phi Mu while I was in college. I adore her and her personality could brighten any day. My dad came while she was here so I had back to back visitors and lunch right on top of that. After that I had two other hospital visitors before decided I needed a nap. I got a really quick nap before the ice cream cart came through and woke me up. I decided Tuesday was not going to be a good nap day. That afternoon my hubby and I walked down to the garden. Needless to say I was exhausted by the time we got back to the room. I got my best nights sleep since I stopped taking ambien.

{Day 14 - May 5, 2010}
So today is not my favorite day of the year. I lost both of my grandfathers 3 years apart on May 5. So needless to say I've never been a big Cinco de Mayo fan. Wednesday morning I started my 3rd 24 hour urine test. The doctor came in early that morning and I finally got frustrated enough to start getting answers. We have a little better plan! And the plan is to induce next Friday. The only thing that would get it started sooner would be if I went into labor on my own or if my 24 hour urine came back sky high or if my labs came back messed up. My nurse was a little ditsy today. She came in and said I'm gonna hook you up to the monitor and do a quick NST. So in my mind I think, 'I'm suppose to be doing NST's on Thursday.' I debated about saying something but decided what did it really matter. Well, needless to say Finley failed. I went into a total state of panic. I haven't been feeling her move a ton and now this failed NST. I thought my doctor would come in quickly and give me some answers but instead he left me sitting here all day. My nurse hooked me back up a little later on because I was having contractions. You might know, she performed perfectly. I still didn't feel completely re-assured but the doctor came in and wasn't really worried. Wednesday night Dalyn's assistant from work stopped by to visit.

{Day 15 - May 6, 2010}
Obviously, today isn't over with yet. But I didn't get this post finished yesterday so I thought I would update on happenings thus far. I was set to have labs drawn this morning, so in they came at 5 am flipping lights on wanting to take blood. Seriously, do they not know people sleep here. I asked my nurse to let me know when she got results back because I knew a lot would hinge on that. By about 8 am they arrived back and I finished my 24 hour urine. My results were pretty normal, my platelet count had dropped a little but apparently not enough to be concerned about. My 24 hour urine result came back at 3.6, which is actually lower than last week. The doctor asked me how I was doing this morning and I just told him i was getting extremely frustrated with everything. He said I could do a better job making a case to go home than to deliver at this point. I think I caught him a little off guard when I said, 'well then I want to go home.' He said he would consult with other doctors of the practice and then let me know. That was about 8:30 this morning and I haven't heard anything yet, I don't know whether that's a good or bad thing. My dad came on over so he could be here if indeed I did get to go home. So we're just sitting around waiting for him to pop back in. I'll update more on today once I get more information.

Sorry this is so long but as I said I want to have a good record of all that's happening. I'll be 36 weeks in 2 more days, YAY!!!


Popular Posts