Famous In a Small Town

Okay so this post is going to be completely unrelated to babies, so feel free to skip if you'd like.

Dalyn and I grew up in a small town just outside of Asheville, NC called Sylva. Growing up I never thought I would leave Sylva and like most of my peers never really had the desire to. But like all things you never know what life is going to bring and several years later Dalyn was accepted to dental school in Nashville, TN so it seemed leaving the small town would be definite. In July 2004 my mother was diagnosed with Lung Cancer. Dalyn left for dental school in August of 2004. I stayed behind to be with my mother and to finish my final two semesters of college. My mother passed away in February 2005 and well needless to say I needed/wanted to start fresh. We were married in August of 2005 and shortly thereafter I moved to Nashville. It was and still remains to be one of the best decisions of my life. I needed to get away. I needed to spread my wings. I needed to become my own woman. But most of all I needed the healing that Nashville brought.

Now don't get me wrong, I loved/love everything about our small town. From the old buildings lining our one way main street, to the fall when the leaves are beautiful, to the mountain sky, to the mountain air, really I could go on for days. Sylva will forever remain in my heart. When we go back it seems like such a humbling experience. All of our families are still there, so its amazing to have them all within 20 minutes of each other. But most of all its wonderful to see how thing change but how they still stay the same.

So why all this you ask?

Well one of my most favorite things about our small town is the courthouse that sets high on top of a hill overlooking downtown. My two most favorite times of year are in spring with everything is lush and green surrounding and at Christmas. The first time I ever met my future husband to be was on main street during our towns annual Christmas parade. I have attached two pictures for your viewing pleasure. The courthouse is a mainstay of our small town. Recently, the town decided that the public library, which was housed in a building on main street, would take up new residence in an addition to the courthouse. At first I was impartial and didn't care. But as the building has progressed I'm none to thrilled with how things are taking shape. I just think it degrades a town treasure. I couldn't find an actual picture of the recent addition but here is a rendering. Its still not finished and the architects have apparently promised it will stay very true in nature. But I just don't buy it and feel like some things are better left untouched. Its suppose to be sometime at the end of the year so I'll save my final opinion until then.
I apologize for the completely random post but I just had to get it off my chest. For those of you who have never visited Western NC, its a must see esp when the leaves are changing! If you plan a vacation let me know, I can definitely recommend some must do/see/stay/play and eat spots!!

Comments

Popular Posts